Vegan blueberry lemon donuts that will knock your socks off. They are an absolute burst of summer with every bite. The vegan blueberry lemon donuts are sweet, yet are slightly tart.
What do you think of when you think of the summer? Pools. The Beach. Perhaps your favorite fruit. While, after having these Vegan Blueberry Lemon Donuts you will not think of the summer the same.
Since the fall is in the horizon, I want to be sure to add one last pop of summer onto this blog. I do love the fall, and generally prefer it over the summer, but I am always sad to see summer go. The long days will surely be missed and people just seem to be generally happier. Some of my summer favorites are peaches, blueberries, lemons and tomatoes. I decided to pair two of my favorites and make, well, donuts!
I had never made donuts before in my life – I actually had to buy a donut baking tray from Amazon – which you can find here. This tray is phenomenal by the way! It makes it super easy to pop them right out. But do know, it makes mini donuts. About the size of a lemon! Which, for me, is perfect, but if you want bigger ones, size up.
As you know, a lot of my recipes time some time to perfect. So, per usual, this one did too. I actually tried to make this recipe a few times this summer, but now finally got the right balance… just before the summer ends.
The donuts are extremely easy to make, and include simple ingredients. They have a less than ten minute prep time a quick bake time.
Whether you are looking for a quick treat, or want to make a spread for brunch (which I recommend adding this toast to your brunch spread), these 2-4 bite donuts are perfect.
The icing is easy to make as well and only contains three ingredients! Win-Win for all.
Let us celebrate summer one more time!
Vegan Blueberry Lemon DonutsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Vegan blueberry donuts bursting with sweet, yet zesty flavors!
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup and 1 tbsp of maple syrup
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp of lemon zest
1/4 cup and 1 tbsp of almond milk
3 tbsp of vegan butter, melted
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3 heaping tbsp of blueberries
- Lemon Zest Frosting
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp almond milk
Extra Zest for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients (not blueberries) and stir.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients (aside from blueberries), and whisk.
- Slowly mix your wet ingredients in with your dry. Stir until combined.
- Gently fold in your blueberries. Gently! They will burst if it is not gently.
- Using any left over melted butter (I scrapped the bottom of the bowl I used to heat it up) or using canola oil, lightly grease the donut tray.
- Fill each donut mold evenly, with the mixture coming right to the top (see picture above).
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick with it coming out clean.
- While donuts are baking, place all ingredients for frosting (other than the extra zest for topping) into a bowl and whisk until smooth! It will be drippy.
- Let donuts cool for 30 minutes before frosting. To frost, simply dip them upside down into the bowl of frosting. Top with lemon zest!
- You can substitute raspberries for blueberries.