These drunken vegan apple hand pies – made with apples, spices and everything nice, including rum – are an absolute delight. These hand pies are everything I could imagine and more. They are perfect for a social distancing thanksgiving.
Drunken Vegan Apple Hand Pies Inspo
The idea for these hand pies came from me wanting to make an apple pie, but not a normal apple pie. As much as I like tradition, I do love to put my twist on things as well. Especially when its a boozy twist. Cue rum.
Hand pies are something that intrigued me the first time I saw them on Instagram back in the Spring. I had never heard of them before, but they reminded me of little mini pie calzones!
Therefore, my inspo for these drunken vegan apple hand pies came from my love for pairing booze with desserts and my curiosity of hand pies. That’s where the adventure began.
Making the Vegan Apple Hand Pies
I had no clue where to start with these. Well, I knew how to make the rum apple filling, but the crust was a whole ‘nother animal. I have to be honest — I would have used store bough pie crust had I not been so lazy. I also want to be able to brag and say I made all of this! So, the hunt was on to find an easy vegan pie crust recipe.
I did not make up the crust recipe I used for these hand pies at all and take absolutely no credit. I have no business making up a pie crust from scratch when I have never even made a pie crust from scratch in general. This is the crust recipe I used – here. Highly recommend it.
I thought that making the pie crust myself would make this a hard recipe. It’s not. It is surprisingly easy. I could not believe it! The pie crust took approx. 10 minutes for me to make. Then, I rolled it out and cut it into 8 circles using a cookie cutter. The circles were approx the size of half a banana.
You can absolutely use store bought vegan pie crust and cut it accordingly.
This is where I shine, guys. Pairing spices, fruit and booze. This filling includes half of a granny and half of a fuji apple, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, maple syrup, sugar, pecans, tahini vanilla, vegan butter and dark rum.
As for dark rum, I used Myer’s dark rum. It was perfect for this recipe and compliments the apples very well.
First, you chop up all the apples into super bite size pieces. You do not want to have your chunks be large because these pies are small! That would not be great. I made mine the size of an Orbit piece of gum.
Next, you sauté the apples for 4-6 minutes, then you add in some of the ingredients, such as sugar, pecans and maple syrup and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
Now, you scoop approx. 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the small pie crust shell. Continue for all four. Make sure not to over stuff these so they do not explode!
Coat the edges with melted vegan butter, then place the other pie crust on top. Mesh together the edges with a fork. You can cut the excess crust, but do leave a grab-able amount. Coat the top with butter.
Place on greased parchment paper, cut slit on top and bake!
Baking the Hand Pies
This part is easy, but do make sure you keep on an eye on them so they don’t explode. Yup, there was some explosion in this. We were warriors. So, keep on eye on them.
Eating the Hand Pies
Did you make this recipe?
If you made this recipe, please place a review below and tag me on social media (@Peachhtreee). Your reviews help me for future recipes and your tags encourage me to continue making the recipes! Thank you so much.
Drunken Vegan Apple Hand PiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Drunken Vegan Apple Hand Pies are a fun twist to a fall time classic. These handpies combine rum, spices and apples to make the perfect treat! Pair them with a scoop of vegan ice cream, my vegan cheesecake dip or vegan whip cream.
1 apple (I used 1/2 fuji, 1/2 granny smith)
1 tbsp of butter, plus more for coating
1 tbsp of sugar in the raw
1 tsp of maple syrup
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of all spice
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of vanilla tahini paste or vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp of pecans
1 tbsp of dark rum
Vegan pie crust (see my notes on the recipe I used).
- If you are making your own pie crust, prepare it. If you are using store bought, that is fine too.
- Cut you dough into small circles, aprox 5 inches. You should have 8 circles total, but if you have less, that is fine too!
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. I know it is high, but it wont burn them!
- Peel, cork and cut your apple. Cut them into very small pieces (see my picture above).
- Add 1 tbsp of butter into a skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add in the apple. Sauté the apples for approx. 4-5 minutes, until they are semi-softened.
- Then, add in your maple syrup, vanilla, sugar and pecans. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Add in the additional ingredients (the spices, salt and rum), and mix together in the skillet.
- Line half of your pie shells. Scoop approx. 2 tbsp of the filling into the center of the shell. Continue until half are filled with filling.
- Brush melted vegan butter on the edges of the shell, then place another shell on top. Use a fork to mesh together the two crusts so they are sealed. Option to cut off any excess crust, but do not cut too much.
- Slit a small slice on top of each pie. Coat with butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Top with vegan ice cream or whip cream. Enjoy!
Never miss a recipe!
Sign up below to always be the first to know about a new blog post.